In 2017 the ACC launched the “No Limits” program with the support of a Community Inclusion and Participation Grant. The aim of the program is to improve the inclusion & participation of students with disability (SWD) within the Associated & Catholic Colleges (ACC) sports program. Current ACC sport programs provide opportunities to students without disabilities & also to those with disabilities. Activities are divided & there is no inclusion of SWD’s within mainstream ACC sport.
No Limits is helping change ACC sport to increase the availability of inclusive opportunities. SWD’s are being encouraged to take a “no limits” view; to increase their activity & aspire to be challenged & engaged with their mainstream peers. The ACC has introduced structural reform together with promotion & education strategies.
- Mainstream carnival series in athletics, swimming & cross country include new “classification” events for SWD’s.
- Classification standards have been introduced so that SWD’s can compete in their own category event but at the same mainstream carnival.
- Participative Lightning Carnivals in Years 7/8/9 now include inclusive pools for teams with mixed abilities.
- Sub Associations: are working to introduce inclusive sports for mixed ability teams within their competitions.
- Inclusive competitive carnivals have been introduced in netball and soccer with plans to expand this to four sports in the future. These are partnership events with state sporting associations (SSA’s).
- Inclusive Sport Come ‘n Try Days. ACC with support from SSA’s continues to provide carnivals for SWD and mainstream buddies to experience different sports in an inclusive setting.
- Inclusive Awareness Training has been conducted for No Limits sport leaders to provide education in inclusive sport practices.
- No Limits promotional strategies such as logo, event branding, signage, web site and social media were also implemented to raise awareness of the program.
No Limits is helping to establish a more inclusive framework for ACC sport.
ACC sport is a high profile extracurricular activity for our schools. The opportunity to change the culture & delivery model to be more inclusive has provided a very visible example of inclusive sport. ACC events have become powerful awareness raising opportunities.
The ACC motto is “Sport in the Right Spirit” & our policy is that sport should be available to all students no matter their ability. No Limits is providing SWD’s equal & accessible opportunities to develop lifelong healthy active lifestyles in a caring inclusive community.